Sunday, March 6, 2011

Yo soy Ms. Caro.

This is a new part of my life, becoming a teacher, so I figured, why not create a new identity to go with it?

I've been known as Carolyn, Carolina, Caro, Ms. Kloecker, Ms. K... and frankly the mispronunciations of Kloecker are really starting to get to me. Ms. K also makes me feel pretty generic, so I think I'm going to go with Ms. Caro.

When I started substitute teaching in the fall, I already knew that I wanted to pursue bilingual education, but I did not know that I would be starting so soon. I thought that I would work in something to do with International Studies first. But honestly, my teaching will involve a lot of international education. Hopefully my kids will learn about geography, culture, and how to be a respectable global citizen.

After substitute teaching for most of this school year, I cannot wait to have my own classroom. There are so many ideas and techniques that I want to use, and so many things that I want kids to take away from the time they spend with me. I just took my ginormous TExES educator exam (the "Bilingual Generalist EC-6"), and before it, I don't think my brain could have been more full of knowledge.

I had an amazing time in Austin for these past 2 days with Mike, I got a tour of where he works, at National Instruments, we went on a tour of a local brewery, and we did some furniture shopping (dining room table! woohoo!)

Tomorrow, I'm leaving for Ecuador (at 6 a.m.!) for 8 days to visit my host fam and some friends, and also to use all of the U.S. coins that I could scrounge up... I'll be volunteering and doing some mini-trips around the Quito area while I'm there, so check back for more blogging from Ecuador!

Feel free to comment/ask questions below! Gracias y hasta luego!

1 comment:

  1. have fun in ecuador!! love the new nickname and definitely understand the mispronunciation-frustration!! i'm excited for you and can't wait to hear your crazy teaching stories!!

    ReplyDelete