Monday, May 16, 2011

Getting Ready to Move

I'm almost entirely packed for my move from Chicago to Austin, Texas! Movers are coming this week, and then I will be flying to Austin next Tuesday.

Here are some things I've found useful while packing/moving:
  • Do your research!
    • Read reviews and take lots of time to compare different prices and different moving methods. We chose to get movers and have them take things in a truck, versus either packing things into a pod/truck ourselves that movers would drive, or packing and moving ourselves with a rental truck. This turned out to be a great option because when the stuff gets to Austin it has to go up 3 flights of stairs! I think we need movers for that...
  • Don't seal boxes until you have to
    • I found a bunch of little stuff that I wanted to keep, and it fit into the little spaces in boxes that I thought were already full.
  • You CAN put clothes in your dressers
    • Life saver! I can move all my clothes by just keeping them where they belong :) I guess I just never knew that... I assumed the moving companies didn't want it to be too heavy, but apparently not!
I have also been starting the job search for open teachign positions in Austin! I have already applied to 4 districts and I have to do at least one more application very soon. Texas Teaching Fellows has been an amazing resource for job search tips, resume/cover letter editing, and interview questions. I can't wait to get started on my summer student teaching and institute program with them!

I can't wait, and it's all getting so close! I'll try to update more when I actually start working in a classroom for summer school.

No comments:

Post a Comment